A winning start

PLAYED AWAY: Tim Hartshorn, pictured here batting last week, captained Batemans Bay to its first win of the Shoalhaven District Cricket Association season.BATEMANS Bay Cricket Club’s first grade side eroded last season’s finishing faults to upset Shoalhaven Ex-Servicemen at Hayden Drexel Oval, Worrigee on Saturday.
南京夜网

The Bay made a great start, hitting 265 in their first innings last week, leaving the home side with plenty of runs to chase.

Ex-Servicemen’s were on the back foot early, with opener Chris Bramley absent and unable to resume his innings from last week.

Shoalhaven then lost early wickets, with Paul Britt dismissing Brett Jones for a duck, and Tim Sethi removing skipper Mat Ganderton for 11.

Sam Stewart (14) was the only other player in the top order to reach double figures, as Shoalhaven slumped to 7/40.

Aaron Van Essen (27) added some runs late in the piece, but the damage had already been done.

Marc Stiller, David West and Luke Condon each dismissed a lower order batsmen and Shoalhaven was bowled out for 70.

Sethi (4/8) was the pick of the bowlers for Batemans Bay, while Britt bowled well with figures of 2/15.

Sethi’s accurate medium pace deliveries troubled the batsmen as he constantly made them play.

“He put it in very good areas, particularly with the pitch doing a little,” Batemans Bay captain Tim Hartshorn said.

“He put the ball in a position where they had to play which made a big difference.”

Batemans Bay had a 195-run lead and decided to enforce the follow on, but there was a lot more resistance from the home side in its second dig.

Blake Morris (23) and Stewart (18) made some starts at the top of the order, while Josh Jones (51) displayed some big hitting, with three sixes on his way to a half-century.

Shoalhaven batted out the rest of the day, reaching 5/109 before the close of play, giving Batemans Bay first innings points.

Marc Stiller (3/13) was the best of the bowlers in the second innings and was unlucky not to remove a batsman who played and missed several times in one of his spells.

The win was a big turnaround for Batemans Bay, after they struggled in their first season in the Shoalhaven last year.

Hartshorn was impressed by the Bay’s ability to finish off its opponent, especially with new addition, Ryan Chamberlain, unable to bowl due to a side strain

“It’s a good start to the season knowing we have enough firepower to bowl sides out,” Hartshorn said.

Hartshorn highlighted Stiller’s consistency and low economy rate – 24 runs from 23 overs – which helped his side build pressure.

“He bowled exceptionally well and in one particular second innings spell he made a batsman miss numerous times,” he said.

Batemans Bay’s first grade team has a bye next weekend before a two-day match against Berry-Shoalhaven Heads on November 1 and 2.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.


Nature Coast stars in whale of a trip

GREAT LEAP FORWARD: A humpback calf shows what it is made of at Merimbula in 2012. Picture: WAYNE REYNOLDS.GeoffRoss will have a ringside seat as whales ply the Eurobodalla coastline this season.
南京夜网

The scientist sets sail next week from Sydney aboard the HM Bark Endeavour Replica, bound for the Far South Coast and an annual festival of all things hugely marine.

The replica of the HMS Endeavour, which was commanded by Lieutenant James Cook, will be a major attraction at the Eden Whale Festival.

Mr Ross, a National Parks and Wildlife Services whale and dolphin expert will join the crew on the once-in-a-lifetime five-day voyage.

“This is a joint venture with National Parks and the Australian National Maritime Museum and it’s going to be exciting,” Mr Ross said.

“This replica will be just like the ancient whaling vessels that once visited the region,” he said.

However the ship hands have swapped harpoons for cameras.

“Instead of hunting whales, we will be watching them and shooting photos,” Mr Ross said.

Built in 1988 for Australia’s Bicentennial, the ships masts and spars carry 28 sails spanning approximately 3048 metres.

Mr Ross said he would be thrilled to see a glimpse of how sailors’ lives were during Cook’s world voyage of 1768 to 1771.

“I’m excited about being on the replica of the 18th century ship,” he said.

“Sleeping conditions will be just like they were when Cook sailed, with hammocks and all,” he said

“There is other accommodation, called supernumerary, for those who don’t want to be part of the crew.

“They get a single cabin and get to relax in the Great Cabin, just as Cook himself would have done.

“I will teach people about marine mammals and help them identify sea birds.

“We will climb the mast and watch the humpback northern whale migration in the Pacific Ocean.

“It should be a once in a lifetime experience.”

In port, festival patrons can board the famous replica and explore the ship’s mess deck – where sailors lived and ate their meals – including the large fire-hearth (stove).

They can also glance around the Great Cabin where botanist Joseph Banks and his scientists worked and documented their botanical specimens.

The expedition leaves Sydney on Monday, October 27 and arrives in Eden on October 31.

The ship departs Eden on November 3, arriving in Sydney on November 7.

Visit www.anmm.gov.au for more details.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.


Suspended jail sentence follows Moruya car chase

A Moruyaman who led police on a car chase in August was handed an 18-month suspended jail sentence when he appeared in Moruya Local Court this month.
南京夜网

Anthony Craig Pittman, 34, of Costin Street, pleaded guilty to driving recklessly and speeding and driving a motor vehicle with a suspended licence.

Police facts tendered to the court on October 10 stated officers saw Pittman driving out of Woodbridge Avenue, Moruya, at 10.05pm, August 16.

Police said they followed him into Bergalia Street intending to stop him for a random breath test.

While in a 50km/h zone, Pittman accelerated to an estimated speed of 100km/h after going through the intersection of Bergalia and Francis Street.

He turned left onto the Princes Highway where he again accelerated and drove over the roundabout at the intersection of South Head Road.

The police pursued him until he spun his car 270 degrees at the roundabout at the intersection of Vulcan and Campbell Streets.

He got out of the car and ran, but police said he was found crouching in a garden bed.

Before arresting Pittman, police asked him why he didn’t stop for them, and he replied “because I don’t have a licence”.

He had been driving while his licence had been suspended from July 30 to October 29 for being an unaccompanied learner driver.

The court heard Pittman had a poor driving record, but other than these matters, had not offended since 2008.

“Your record has come back to haunt you,” Magistrate Doug Dick said.

“I need to protect other road users.”

Pittman was convicted on both charges, fined a total of $1500 and disqualified from driving for 12 months.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.


Councils see red in vote to head off budget black hole

The peak body for NSW councils has resolved to lobby for the end of a measure it says will cause a $288 million funding hole across the sector in the next three years. The peak body for NSW councils has resolved to lobby for the end of a measure it says will cause a $288 million funding hole across the sector in the next three years.
南京夜网

Councillors at the 2014 Local Government NSW (LGNSW) conference unanimously voted to lobby the federal government to abandon freezing the indexation of Financial Assistance Grants to councils.

In June Dubbo City Council estimated the measure would leave it more than $1.9 million worse off in the next four years.

Dubbo council has delegates at the conference, which on Monday considered motions from councils about the issue.

After the vote LGNSW president Keith Rhoades said councils were living the reality of the government’s budget decision not to index the important grants.

“The consequence of this funding freeze is a $288 million hole for the NSW local government sector – and our communities – over the next three years,” Cr Rhoades said.

“All NSW councils, both country and city, will feel the pinch, as shown by the 11 councils who submitted motions on this issue to the LGNSW Annual Conference, including the Blue Mountains, Blacktown, Randwick and Wakool.

“Financial Assistance Grants are extremely important as they are untied, which means they can be used for council services, facilities and infrastructure that the community deems to be most important – not as directed by the Australian government.

“They are also an essential part of councils’ revenue base, particularly as NSW councils are constrained from increasing their own source of revenue by rate-pegging.

“$288 million over three years will not drastically impact the Australian government, but it is a severe hit to individual councils, and even more so in country areas where they have extensive road networks and small rate bases.”

Dubbo mayor Mathew Dickerson and councillors Greg Mohr, Kevin Parker, Allan Smith and John Walkom are attending the conference on behalf of the council.

Dubbo councillors Greg Matthews and Ben Shields are also in attendance as board members of LGNSW.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.


Top opera talent to hit the Dubbo stage

Pianist Julia de Plater, Joshua Rogers, Jessica Westcott, Joshua Oxley, Anna McDougall, Soonki Park and Deepka Ratra are part of the group that will sing at the Dubbo RSL Memorial Club on November 2. Photo: CONTRIBUTEDEarly next month a group of Sydney Opera singers will converge on Dubbo, where they will perform musical hits and feature a local choir and two young local artists.
南京夜网

The seven opera singers who have performed in Opera Australia productions, will take their Rising Stars Tour to Dubbo on Sunday, November 2.

Local talents Billie Palin and Nathan Byron will also be showcasing their creativity at the concert, which will be held at the Dubbo RSL Memorial Club.

Dubbo South Public School administration manager Lindy Blekemore has also organised a choir to perform on the day.

Rising Stars manager Jessica Westcott, who is one of the seven opera singers, hails from Parkes and said after many years living and studying in Sydney she was excited about coming back to the country.

“I’m looking forward to performing in front of a home audience,” Ms Westcott said.

“When I was growing up there were not many places to perform or train. It will be great coming back to the country and helping regional kids.”

Before the performance takes place, the Rising Stars opera singers will conduct workshops for the local choir, as well as Billie and Nathan.

“We’ve been told by Ms Blekemore that the choir are really excited,” Ms Westcott said.

“We’ll be conducting performance-based games and giving them advice on how to work together as an ensemble.”

The concert will feature various acts from the Rising Stars opera singers, including performances from much loved broadway and musical hits, gospel songs and solo acts.

Tickets can be pre-purchased at the Dubbo RSL, or at the door.

An adult ticket costs $30, concession $25 and kids under 12 are free.

The performance will begin at 3pm on Sunday, November 3.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.


Special delivery of birthing simulator at Orange hospital

SAFELY DELIVERED: Clinical midwifery consultant Cath Ryan and registered midwife Katie Taylor ‘deliver’ a newborn from the mother-baby simulator now used for training at Orange hospital. Photo: JUDE KEOGH 1021simmum5SAFE deliveries for mothers and babies are at the forefront of new technology and training being undertaken at the Orange Health Service.
南京夜网

A $60,000 advanced birthing simulator of a mother giving birth to a baby is now being used in the training of midwives, doctors, anaesthetists and other health professionals at the hospital.

Orange Health Service clinical midwifery educator Michelle Johnstonsaid the SimMom model was a fantastic tool for students and trainees to be exposed to a range of possible birthing situations in a realistic and safe environment.

A computer operated close to the simulator can program a range of changing situations in the condition of the mother and baby, providing practical experience for staff to practise their responses.

The life-like mannequin of full body size with baby in utero can stand, be supported by staff in a realistic birthing scenario and even kneel or lean on a bed.

Orange Health Service director of women’s health Dr Sachin Kotasthanesaid the SimMomwas an integral part of healthcare training

“This is a fundamental approach to improve patient safety and the safety for mothers,” Dr Kotasthane said.

“I’ve used a lot of simulation technology in the UK and have found that it’s the best way to learn – and it makes teaching easy.”

The simulator installed at Orange hospital is one of 25 across the state, joining those already installed in the major metropolitan teaching hospitals, Wagga Wagga and Dubbo.

The Orange simulator was provided by a $30,000 contribution from Orange Health Service, $15,000 from the Premi-Babes Association of Orange and $15,000 from the University of Sydney School of Rural Health.

[email protected]南京夜网.au

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.


Girls’ Day Out goes swimmingly on the Clyde

Theypaddled in pink, they paddled as pirates and they paddled for a pretty fabulous cause – and the sun shone on Saturday for them.
南京夜网

Alissia Jordan, Sharon Ball and Lorraine Ball.

Sharon Piert, of the Girls’ Day Out Paddle for Breast Cancer said organisers were “stoked” with Saturday’s fundraising event on the Clyde River.

They raised $6000 for the National Breast Cancer Foundation.

“We had 70 registered people enter, which is down by 20 people on last year, but that was because there was so much on, like Granite Town, Tough Mudder in Canberra and heaps of other stuff,” she said.

“However the $6000 we raised, all of which will go to the National Breast Cancer Foundation, was only $500 down on last year.

“We had our first stand up paddlers, four of them, and we would like to thank the Batemans Bay Surf Life Saving Club for looking after us.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.


Essential Energy hits back at claims of citywide defects

Essential Energy yesterday refuted claims one in six of Dubbo’s street lights were faulty, saying only three reported defects were yet outstanding in the city.
南京夜网

Essential Energy Regional Manager Northern, Ben Williams, said Essential Energy was responsible for the maintenance of about 145,000 street lights within 100 councils in NSW.

Mr Williams said Essential Energy accepted public lighting services at Dubbo had previously been unacceptable. A full patrol of street lights was undertaken in July and Essential Energy has since worked to repair identified faults.

The NSW Public Lighting Code requires street lights to be fixed within eight days.

Essential Energy has developed a Public Lighting Management Plan and their response time currently fell well within the required limits, Mr Williams said.

“The average time taken to repair a reported faulty street light in Essential Energy’s network area is 3.2 days,” he said.

Mr Williams said there were currently three outstanding street light defects that had been reported at Dubbo.

Essential Energy encourages residents to report street light faults on 13 23 91 or by visiting www.essentialenergy南京夜网.au to ensure they are fixed as quickly as possible.

POLL: Dubbo’s night light fight

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.